Thursday 5 February 2015

Where are you going with this?


'It's better to travel than to arrive' so the saying goes. Obviously a saying coined by someone who has never fought the M6 in order to get to Scotland.

But where am I going with learning Gaelic? What's the point?

Quite simply, if you look at the blog entry from a few days back ('Why is an Englishman learning Scottish Gaelic?') you'll see many of my motovations. However, it doesn't address what I want to acheive by all this study.

Having successfully completed An Cùrsa Inntrigidh at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig, I'm now on my first year (third module) of An Cùrsa Adhartais, a two year distance learning course which takes a similar format to An Cùrsa Inntrigidh. Fingers crossed, in a little over a year's time I shall be conversational in my abilities.

An then what? There are options. Maybe I'll continue my studies at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig and do something like Gaelic with Media Studies. Who knows.

In this consumerist and sometimes vacuuous world we live, people are often fixated with 'results' and 'goals'. There has to be some money-making or target-obssessive reason why you'd ever do something.

Do you know what? Knickers to all that. You can shove your corporate rubbish up your jumper.

It's lovely to do something that you enjoy and have absolutely no goal whatsoever. It's liberating, fun, and an utter joy to indulge in a spot of Gaelic learning just for the pure, simple, uncomplicated delight of enjoying the journey, and seeing where it ends up.

No comments:

Post a Comment